Students in Pre-K through Grade 12 are encouraged to participate in the 2018-2019 National PTA Reflections Awards! It’s easy to participate:
1. Reflect on this year’s theme: Look Within
2. Create an original work inspired by the theme.
3. Celebrate your achievements and win prizes!
Enter according to local program guidelines and deadlines. For samples of national award-winning works, visit our virtual exhibit.
The 2018-2019 program theme is “Look Within” Encourage students to think about and explore the theme. Teachers can use the theme with classroom lessons while parents can use the theme to spark conversation at home. Students can participate in the annual Theme Search Contest according to State PTA Reflections Program guidelines. One winning theme will be selected in 2020 and used as the Reflections program theme during the 2021-2022 school year.
Title and Artist Statement
Judges will consider your title and artist statement to learn more about your original work and creative interpretation of the theme. Give your work a title that stands out and describe how your work relates to your own personal interpretation of the theme.
Use these guiding questions to help you write an artist statement:
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g., supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)
- What/who was your inspiration?
Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill.
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the work itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Scholarships and Prizes
National level awards include the following:
- Merit Award: Bronze Medal; Certificate of Merit; Work featured in the traveling exhibition.
- Award of Excellence: $200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the traveling exhibition.
- Outstanding Interpretation Award: An expense-paid trip for awardee and chaperone to showcase work on stage at the National PTA Awards and Reflections Celebration; $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the traveling exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit.
Questions? Contact Mikki Wilson, Massachusetts PTA Reflections Chair