The Legislative Committee guides the legislative and advocacy activities of the Massachusetts PTA. The Legislative committee is responsible for creating the policy agenda for the State and advising Massachusetts PTA Board Members on issues that Massachusetts PTA should support. The committee specializes in specific issues regarding education, family engagement, budget, and community concerns as these affect children and youth, as well as a federal advocate. All members of the legislative committee are PTA volunteers. The committee will work closely with other committee’s to advocate for the issues each committee is working on.
The committee will work closely with the National PTA to Support the National PTA Public Policy Agenda and guide the advocacy activities of the organization.
The committee chair is dedicated to communicating advocacy issues and concerns with members and guiding them to take action when necessary.
Please sign up for National PTA’s Take Action Network by clicking here http://cqrcengage.com/npta2/app/register?5&m=15903
• Updated Massachusetts Public Policy
• Attended 2016 National Legislative Conference and discussed educational issues with fellow PTA’s members across the country as well as Massachusetts Legislators
• June 2015 met with Senator Warren to discuss Public Education
• Testified on many educational bills and issues
• Work with MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education on taskforces and policy committees
• Standard Setting Policy Committee – working with DESE to determine the standards to be used in the 2017 MCAS rollout
•Project Communications Workgroup includes key DESE project staff and invited representatives from the major state education associations. The purpose of the committee is to ensure that administrators and teachers in the field are kept fully informed about the project as it moves through the planning and implementation stages. Workgroup meetings and related communications activities will be coordinated by Jass Stewart (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are interested in serving on the Massachusetts PTA Legislative Committee or setting up a committee in your own unit please contact Kim at email@example.com